Pros & Cons of LCD technology
- Direct-view models are only a few inches deep.
- Desktop space-saver
- Good picture quality
- Environmentally friendly
- 15" flat panel gives you the same viewable screen as a 17" CRT monitor
- Of all the fixed-pixel technologies, LCD has the biggest problem producing true blacks. Some light always passes through when the liquid crystals untwist, so the best black on most LCD panels is a very dark gray.
- Because of the way light passes through an LCD cell, direct-view LCDs usually have a narrower viewing angle than plasma TVs.
- Low-resolution LCDs exhibit distinct pixelation and screen-door effects when blown up to big screen sizes. For front projection, using a model with XGA (1,024 x 768) or higher resolution will reduce screen-door effects.